23rd July 2020
As from Friday 24th you must by law wear a face covering when entering shops. We believe this will give more confidence for customers to return. There are exemptions to this. For clarity this is taken from the Government Website:
You do not need to wear a face covering if you have a legitimate reason not to. This includes:
- young children under the age of 11
- not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
- if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
- if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
if a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering
There are also scenarios when you are permitted to remove a face covering when asked:
- If asked to do so by shop staff for the purpose of age identification
- If speaking with people who rely on lip reading, facial expressions and clear sound. Some may ask you, either verbally or in writing, to remove a covering to help with communication
Our role in stores is to encourage the use of face coverings. If you are exempt please let the greeter know as you enter that you are exempt - you are not expected to outline your medical reasons to us. We respect everyones privacy and understand that not all disabilities are visible and we therefore rely on customers being honest and sensible when entering the store #allinthistogether. Please note for the safety of everyone if you are not exempt and simply just refuse to wear a mask we will not allow entry to the store.
WHAT IF I FORGET MY MASK?
We will have masks available to purchase.
Although not compulsory for staff to wear a face covering you will find our staff wearing one in certain areas of the store or if talking to customers or colleagues. Staff behind our screens will not wear a mask. We have ordered clear visors for staff which we hope to arrive this week to help those customers whom reply on lip reading or facial expressions.
Thank you for your continued support. We don't make the rules but like all businesses we are playing our part in helping to make sure we don't get a second lockdown. Just in case anyone is in any doubt about the correct way to wear their face mask, here's a picture to remind you